Wednesday 30 January 2008

Mindfulness of Action

My second lesson of the year and I'm beginning to fall back into that comfortable groove of Aikido-minded training. We are acclimatising to our new Dojo, I have to say that I find the view from our Dojo somewhat distracting at times - being able to see directly out to the inviting water of the swimming pool does little for my concentration, but it does help me feel a little relaxed whilst training.
An overseas student joined our class last night, black belt, though I believe from a different stream of Aikido. How is it that Aikido can feel so awkward and non harmonious from somebody who I am supposed to listen to and respect? The hierarchy in Aikido can be confusing at times. While I am supposed to respect those senior to me, how does this work when they have glaring deficiencies that are difficult to overlook?

Perhaps it is a matter of respect being earned, and not simply given on the basis of the fact that one is wearing a Hakama? I would think that this is true of all levels, regardless of your belt colour. If somebody is a different level to me, whether higher or lower, there are certain abilities and skills they will have that I do not, and vice versa.
Regardless, I believe one should not give advice to their partner, *unless* it asked for or you are the teacher of the class! This works both ways. If am senior, I will not give advice unless a junior obviously wants it. If am junior, I wouldn't even consider giving advice unless my senior made his desire absolutely clear.

In the matter of a senior student with.... deficient abilities, I would simply keep my mouth shut and do my best, while avoiding the temptation to judge them.

How can I be a good Uke or Nage if I am busy judging them?
On that point, I have often found that when I slip into the roll of concentrating on what my partner is doing, rather than what I am doing, then both of us suffer.
I believe mindfulness is key. Do not worry about what everbody else is doing, worry about what *I* am doing.

No comments: